Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Coming to terms...


Having been born and raised for 16 years near a major city, I was used to the sounds of blaring car horns, wailing ambulance sirens, and the vocal fights of neighbors.  This was common place, and both my parents and I thought nothing of it.  

Then, when I turned 16, my father was transferred and our family was uprooted and moved to a somewhat smaller city.  It was not as noisy, or chaotic as the city we were used to, but it did have its moments from time to time.

When my parents passed, I had planned on me and the girls staying put.  But it would seem the Lord had other plans for us.  So after moving four times in 6 months, we were brought to where we are now.  And, to say we were the proverbial fish out of water would be an understatement.

The Lord had brought me and the girls, to the very holler in which my mother was born and raised.  We were so out of our element, I wanted to cry.  The only people I knew here were a handful of aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I had no friends here, and my closest friend at that time was almost 2 hours away.  I felt unsure, lost, and if not for the girls, I would have felt alone.

We have lived here eight years this September, and I still am getting used to the *sounds* of this new home.  This morning, while walking the girls, I heard a sound that is common in these parts, but for a city girl is still, to this day, unusual...the crowing of a rooster.

Something simple as that, and I am reminded that I am a stranger here.

 I am not from this place, and probably never will be.


No comments:

Post a Comment